Thursday 24 January 2013

My first 'serious' quilt

This is a queen size version of a Modern Quilt Studio design called Small Change. It is from the book, Quilts Made Modern by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr. The fabric is Cherrywood Fabrics, four grab bags of mixed colors and some yardage called Carnivale.
It was quilted by Chris the Quilter.
The binding was hand sewn by me, and the fabric is Cherrywood indigo.
I changed the construction method slightly, instead of the long strips of squares joined together, I made 'blocks' of two by five squares, and some that were four by two to make it easier to transport to SASE, and because I felt that I would get all twisted and tangled if I did long strips.
I used plain calico as the backing, as I love the feel of it, and the quilt lives on our bed, and I find that most backing fabric just slides off. We are wriggly sleepers. It is 90 inches by 103 inches.
I love this quilt, it makes my heart sing when I make my bed, or go into our bedroom. I love to lie on it and under it, and that says to me it's a serious quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment